What I Hate About Debian "dselect"

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Jan 11 17:22:33 CST 2004

It is entirely too easy to suddenly stop selecting packages and start
needing to insert CDs.

The "dselect" program, at the main screen where pressing ENTER means
*exiting dselect* and beginning package install, should ASK if you really
typed ENTER to exit, or if your finger pressed ENTER twice accidentally
at a sub-menu.

I'd only made it up to "devel" packages before I pressed ENTER twice at a
sub-menu and got kicked into install.  I don't think Midnight Commander
is default installed (another KCLUG member has a Debian laptop and mc is
not an available app; I don't know its licensing) and I don't know if
slrn is default installed.  I can install packages later, but two
details: its always easier to install packages during the install, and I
am completely unfamiliar with the deb package and all applications
associated with installing deb packages.