Selecting 2.4 Kernel on Boot Floppy Debian Install

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Jan 9 07:29:16 CST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 01:04:15 -0600 Leo J Mauler <webgiant at juno.com>
writes:
> I am installing Debian on my Laptop, which does not boot from CD.  I
> would like to boot from floppies, then use the built-in 4x CDROM as
> the installation media.  The 4x CDROM works rather well considering its

> age.

[snip!]

> Is it possible to use the "boot.bat" batch file on the CD with a
> Win98 rescue disk?  The laptop does not currently have a FAT
> partition and I don't plan on having one in it.  The drive is only
> 2GB so it isn't practical to create a DOS partition just to use
> loadlin.

Well that was an exercise in futility.  BOOT.BAT wasn't written very
well, so instead of giving a menu to choose from it just shows the menu
then boots straight into the first kernel.

I looked into the BOOT.BAT file and typed out the command it uses to load
the bf2.4 kernel.  It didn't buy the deception and halted the system.  It
said something like "wrong kernel for system", when Slackware 9.0 loaded
just fine and used the 2.4.2.22 kernel.

So it appears I won't be joining the ranks of the Debian folks on the
laptop at any rate.