Creating new filesystems

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Jan 6 12:30:06 CST 2004

What would be the command for creating a new ext3 filesystem (lets say on
/dev/hdc7) and checking for bad blocks at the same time?

I'm watching Debian do it on another machine and I'd like to be able to
do the same thing, but I can't find the command anywhere in the install
script on the CD.

Also, one thing I do like about the Debian installer: instead of just
putting up a window saying "Checking for bad blocks" without any progress
indicators, it lists the output from the badblocks command so you can
know when it is close to finished.