FUD

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Fri Jan 2 20:31:23 CST 2004

I agree, 98 wasn't nearly as bad.  I still use that at home on my old game
system.

My worst experiences with Win95 were from back when they were still
shipping it with Windows 3.11 manuals, though their attempts to add in USB
support kinda screwed things up too.

- Kevin

             Karl Schmidt
             <karl at xtronics.co
                                       KRFinch at dstsystems.com
             01/02/2004 01:50                                           cc
             PM                        kclug at kclug.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: FUD

KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:

> win 95 "magnificently stable"?!?  That's rich.

Actually, Win98SE wasn't real bad -  The real problem was the fact that
it didn't use the MMU and that the number one software package of the
day was corrupting other program's memory space - AND - that dirty
program was M$ office. If one did not run M$-office (and you had to
remove the link in startup), Win 98 was pretty stable if you didn't run
it for more than a week.

Once people were running Win2000 and could see which program was the
problem, M$ finally started fixing office.

Win2000/XP is pretty stable - but not stable enough to be used as a COLO
server. Some COLOs charge more for M$ users as they have to visit their
server every week or so - the Linux servers are most often only visited
when hardware fails.

I work in automation and I can tell you that no one uses M$ machines
with much success to automate factory equipment. (They do use PLC's that
they talk to with M$ boxes). The stories of people trying to automate
with M$ boxes and he huge losses involved are common knowledge in the
automation industry. There are people using Linux with great successes.

As a desktop, win2000 is better than Linux for one reason - the amount
of supported software, but now that I use Mozilla and OpenOffice the day
that my Win box (on a KVM switch with a Linux machine) being a secondary
machine is getting much closer.

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

A patent provides one a license to enrich his lawyer. -kps