Debian vs Suse

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Jan 2 19:44:47 CST 2004

All this sounds great.  Where can I read more about this installer.  I must have been looking at
another installer I guess.  I've never seen the details you speak of.  There were supposed to be
some developer install isos using the new method, but all the links I tried were dead.  This was
likely due to the recent break ins.  I was able to get a small iso that uses the net installer and
it looks somewhat better than the last regular Debian install I tried.

—----------------Quote below------------------------
A group within the Debian project started efforts probably 3-4 years ago
to correct the problem with our crappy installer. And it has taken that
long because they are doing it RIGHT. I don't know all of the details,
but here is some of what I DO know.

1. It involved creating some miniature version of packages called udebs,
or micro-debs. I don't even begin to understand this, just thought it
was neat.

2. It will be flexible. This will, I think, allow for multiple
frontends, canned installs (where you have a recorded set of
installation instructions that can be repeated without required
interaction), etc.

3. It will be stable.

Brian Kelsay