Linux flavors

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri Jan 2 19:01:17 CST 2004

 >> I just finished testing Redhat 9 , mandrake, Suse and Debian(using the
 >> libranet installer. Debian seems to the heart of linux and should
 >> really be on your list.
 >>
 > I tested libranet and arch linux over the weekend, which I believe are
 > based on Debian, on my Dell Latitude D840 and libranet was fast and easy
 > to install. I don't like the fact that I had to buy it to get 2.8. The
 > 2.7 is out of date software wise and there was no clear path for
 > updating the distro to newer versions of KDE and Gnome.

Are you sure?

Seems to me, if you edit the apt-get config file you should be able to
move to a newer version.  The idea is you never have to reinstall?

Perhaps someone with more Debian experience can comment on how one moves
to a new version?

I also want to know if there is a way to move to an older version? (I
want to set up 'stable' on servers - seems I could install libranet and
then downgrade to stable? might not be worth it as "sarge" seems ultra
stable to me.

Part of the reason I paid money is I'm banking on the idea that it will
work -- and all I have to do is updates via apt-get to move to later
releases. The libranet has a deal to install off the web via a button
click flash, realtime, java and I think one more plugin saving me enough
time to mostly justify the cost. (I'm setting up a few desktop systems
and everyone insists they need java).

For me to spend money on libranet again, they will have to offer more -
I plan to send money to Debian as I really like where it is heading.

 > I tried Debian awhile back, last year I think, and didn't like the
 > install process. I'd almost even prefer Gentoo's install to Debian's.  I
 > was able to get an install with everything I needed, it just took awhile
 > to compile everything.

I can't wait till they get it fixed.

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

A patent provides one a license to enrich his lawyer. -kps