FUD

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Fri Jan 2 16:44:38 CST 2004

I'd have preferred to use ghost myself.  I just couldn't talk the company
into buying it.

:(

- Kevin

             "Brian Kelsay"
             <BLKELSAY at kcc.usd
             a.gov>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  <kclug at kclug.org>
             owner-kclug at marau                                          cc
             der.illiana.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       FUD
             01/02/2004 10:33
             AM

>>"magnificently stable"?!?  That's rich.

>My favorite Win95 story comes from when I was building systems for a
>payroll project I was on.  One time we had 11 identical HP systems that we
>were building, and the only thing on them that required a custom driver
was
>the video card.  We set them all up in a row and clicked the same buttons
>on down the line during the setup to set them all up identically.  3
worked
>the way that they were supposed to by the time we were done loading
>Windows, and the remaining 8 all had one problem or another that required
>either reconfiguration or reloading to bring them up to spec.

That is why most techs that have to load Winders on multiple similar
machines use Ghost.  If I run into a tech that sneers at Ghost, then I know
he hasn't supported thousands of machines.  It has saved me hours and
hours.  More time for surfing, doing tickets, securing the network,
learning new stuff, configuring/using Linux, etc.

Winders is good or passable for some tasks, but some companies are
realizing the savings they could have, by using alternatives.  Some
companies make so much that Winders licensing schemes have little to no
affect on them.

Brian Kelsay