How do I fix a monitor resolution problem?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jan 2 00:57:21 CST 2004

On Thursday, January 01, 2004 06:40 pm, Michael Shaw wrote:

> There is a moment just before Xwindows starts up that I can see a Linux
> command line prompt.  That goes away as soon as X fires up and then
> jibberish appears when it tries to display the KDE graphical login screen.
> I have no working console screen.  At this point I at runlevel5 and the
> ALT-CTRL-BACKSPACE sequence doesn't help.

Ok, you can try Ctrl-Alt-F1, but if X isn't responding it may not work.
Sometimes Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is turned off.

You should be able to hit tab or something at the LILO boot menu, just before
the boot process starts, and enter "linux single", or possibly "linux 1" or
"linux 3" to get a console session.