Server paging utility

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 21:31:40 CDT 2004

Jordan, Jason A wrote:

> Yes, I have nagios running as part of the Sentinix distro.  In my testing with various IT
management, the multi-layered
> approach of BB from simplistic (green=good, red=bad) to detailed log messages works better.
>
> Plus, its impressive to show every server's status in one view (even your Windows boxes) with
highly customizable
> monitoring for each server.
>
> I've added elements of MRTG in as well to cover our routers and some custom scripting is parsing
syslog-ng messages as
> well.

Nagios has screens for displaying info on multiple servers in many
different ways.  It looks to me to be very flexible.  To each his own.
May also depend on the number of servers being monitored.  With 200
servers, your boss probably didn't mind spending the $$ and Big Brother
does have a free version.  I like the model of Nagios better though.
let you use it on how ever many you want, open API so users can create
new modules and clients and then you have a model for paid support.  BB
looks like it relies on paid support contracts also, but has an initial
lug you must pay to run on more than a certain number of servers.  I
could be wrong, please correct me on this.