email server/webmail recommendations

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Fri Apr 16 02:42:00 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 11:59, Brian Densmore wrote:
> Short Answer :
> debian (stable) + exim + imap + ssl + spamassasin + squirrelmail + amavis.
>
> Longer answer:
> Debian for security and stable release for stability.
> Debian because, I've become a true believer. It has a learning curve, but
> I can almost see the top of the hill now. I prefer imap over pop.
> I rarely use my imap though. Since the webmail software squirrelmail does
> everything I need and nearly everything I want and is quite fast on my old
> server. I don't think my spam scanning software spamassasin is working right.
> I'm sure it's just some configuraition edit somewhere. Not a pressing issue yet.
> I like exim for a mail transport, it was easy to set up and seems to
> have robustness for large scale mail servers. I'm not using the amavis virus
> scanner. I should really sit down and put some of my HowTo on exim with imap
> and squirrelmail onto my site for others. You'll need to setup exim to use
> Mail directories. I run my imap only over encrypted ports.
> I'm missing something in my list I know, but can't place it.

I second this recomendation.  My server (and my email) run this exact
setup, though I haven't gotten around to adding amavis.

I use the 2.6x version of Spamassassin and created IMAP directories for
false positives and false negatives, or uncaught spam, and caught
non-spam.  Then, I have a cron-job which runs every hour which adds the
spammy-ness or non-spammy-ness of the email.  It then moves the non-spam
to my regular Inbox.

---------
#!/bin/sh
MAILTO="jeremy"
MAILDIR="$HOME/Maildir/cur"
SPAM_MAILDIR="$HOME/Maildir/.Spam-NotCaught/cur"
HAM_MAILDIR="$HOME/Maildir/.NotSpam-Caught/cur"

sa-learn --spam $SPAM_MAILDIR/*
sa-learn --ham $HAM_MAILDIR/*
ls $SPAM_MAILDIR/* | xargs rm -rf
mv $HAM_MAILDIR/* $MAILDIR

---------

The xargs is because I kept getting 'this command is too long' errors
with deleting several emails at once.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>