email server/webmail recommendations

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 12 16:59:53 CDT 2004

Short Answer :
debian (stable) + exim + imap + ssl + spamassasin + squirrelmail + amavis.

Longer answer:
Debian for security and stable release for stability.
Debian because, I've become a true believer. It has a learning curve, but
I can almost see the top of the hill now. I prefer imap over pop.
I rarely use my imap though. Since the webmail software squirrelmail does
everything I need and nearly everything I want and is quite fast on my old
server. I don't think my spam scanning software spamassasin is working right.
I'm sure it's just some configuraition edit somewhere. Not a pressing issue yet.
I like exim for a mail transport, it was easy to set up and seems to
have robustness for large scale mail servers. I'm not using the amavis virus
scanner. I should really sit down and put some of my HowTo on exim with imap
and squirrelmail onto my site for others. You'll need to setup exim to use
Mail directories. I run my imap only over encrypted ports.
I'm missing something in my list I know, but can't place it.

$0.02,
Brian