OT: Printer SPAM?

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Thu Apr 15 17:56:28 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:29:01AM -0500, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> So I'm sitting here securing my wireless network, and just for fun I look
> around at the other wireless networks in the neighborhood.
>
> And there are two other wireless networks in the neighborhood, neither
> one is secured, and both have network printers accessible via Samba
> without passwords.
>
> So I'm thinking about this, that I can print anything I want to their
> printers from the safety and security of my own home.  I could moon them
> over the wireless network, or send their printers letters and photos from
> "the other woman".  Or print SPAM on their printers.

Something similar happened to me several years ago.  Late one night I noticed
that I wasn't the only one using my computer.  Someone was looking around
because I had left anonymous FTP enabled.  When I nmap'ed the guy I noticed
that he had port 515 (remote line printer) open.  So I created an 8-1/2 x 11
jpeg with all pixels black and printed 99 copies on his printer.  I also
printed him a copy of my kernel (since he must have been a computer whiz
I didn't want to insult him with the kernel source, I printed him the
binary of my kernel).  I think my art work must have impressed him because
he stopped almost immediately to go admire it.  He never got back to me
to tell me how much he liked my kernel.

I finished the evening reading the ipfwadm man page.
--
Jim