queston about changing Apache "Authorized Required" page to other page

system admin jcho at jcho.net
Wed Apr 14 16:22:37 CDT 2004

Hello, KCLUG,

I have a quick question about how to change the default page
"Authorization Required" to other page that I would like to display on the
browser.

I'm using htpasswd tools on Redhat 8.0 and Apache 1.3.27.
When I type a wrong password on the password protected web site on my personal
web page, it display some information that I don't want to show such as
my web server version information.

How can I change the default page into other page that I want to display.

If I ask one more thing,
What about non-existing page or directory on the apache web server?
How can I customize the default page
for example:
The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or
is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled
correctly.

Open the www.microsoft.com/solve-the-world-hunger home page, and then look for
links to the information you want.
Click the  Back button to try another link.
Click  Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

Thank you for your great help.

Joe Cho