zoom modem and IPCop

Tim Reid darkweb4 at gbronline.com
Mon Apr 12 15:57:09 CDT 2004

I am trying to set up a dial-on-demand firewall/router with IPCop.  I'm
using an older 233 Pentium with 64mb of ram.  I am trying to get a Zoom
modem to work with this computer.  The modem is an internal ISA 56k Zoom
modem, model number 2919.  The compatibility database at
http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/g/gromitkc/isa_list.html
lists this model as being "OK" with linux.  So I know that I don't have
a winmodem.  I understand that this modem should accept standard Hayes
AT commands, right now I've left the AT commands that IPCop uses at
their defaults.  The jumpers settings on the modem are as such: IRQ 3,
COM 2, PnP enabled.  I've reviewed dmesg on the IPCop machine, and the
only mention of IRQ's assigned are the two NIC's in the machine.
Shouldn't the OS assign an IRQ to the modem?

I'm still moving from a "desktop user/ newbie" to "power user" with
linux.  Furthermore I've never had to mess with IRQ's, nor have I ever
had a problem requiring modem troubleshooting.  I am at a loss, and am
becoming frustrated.  Any help would be appriciated.

Tim

I will continue to google for referances to this modem, read Zoom's docs
on the modem.  I will probably also do something childish and silibant,
like hug my teddy, suck my thumb, etc.  My modem no workie :'(