ATA100 80 wire/40 pin (was RE: kernel init error)

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Thu Apr 1 05:28:58 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:

>Speaking of the devil! I have one of those cables and
>a drive that is suppoesed to support it. I have been
>unable to get Linux to recognize the ribbon/disk and
>it always falls back to the lower standard. I know
>the MB supports it. What can I check to diagnose this?

first off what brand of hdd? western digital puts out a install disk
with utilities just for this purpose.
i know my maxtor also had one to just never had to use it.  you can see
what the drive sais about its speed etc.

hdparam can do some meddling with the settings.  so far though i have
found that linux knows the correct speed so there may be a bug in your
chipset that you need to have said yes to in the making of the kernl as
a side thought to speed.

another thought is the ext3 module got hosed if not properly shut
down...  my ide-scsi.o got hosed that way