ATA100 80 wire/40 pin (was RE: kernel init error)

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 03:57:31 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:

> Speaking of the devil! I have one of those cables and
> a drive that is suppoesed to support it. I have been
> unable to get Linux to recognize the ribbon/disk and
> it always falls back to the lower standard. I know
> the MB supports it. What can I check to diagnose this?
> I put the drive on it's own controller. I do have a DVD
> and CDRW on another cable. Do I have to set someting on
> a jumper on the HD? The MB is all configured in the BIOS.
> The MB is an "older" ABit, but it has ata133 support and the
> HD is a 20GB Maxtor 7200 ATA100 or ATA133. I haven't checked
> the ribbon closely for cuts, but the drive works. I have another
> 80 ribbon I could try. Maybe there is some kernel parameter or
> cheatcode I need to use?

You need to enable DMA for the drives that support it.  I'm fuzzy right
now, but I think it was an option you enable w/ hdparm.  With a 2.6
kernel, this may be incorrect.  I'd look this up, but I can barely see
right now.  I had my eyes dialated earlier.  On Knoppix, at the boot
prompt, issue: knoppix dma to enable dma for all drives.  Some CDRoms
only go up to PIO mode 4.  CDRW and DVD and all new HDDs will do DMA.
You'll notice a speed difference.