Splitting Apache log files

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Thu Sep 25 09:35:50 CDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Bradley Miller wrote:

> I've run into a situation, I've got all my log files in one "BIG"
> logfile.  I want to run Webalizer and get stats info for clients, I

Let me guess.  Your log file grew past 2GB?  Why wait until all your
system code is 64 bit clean, when webalizer will split it up for you?
>From webalizer's README:

Incremental Processing
----------------------

Version 1.2x of The Webalizer adds incremental run capability.  Simply
put, this allows processing large log files by breaking them up into
smaller pieces, and processing these pieces instead.  What this means in
real terms is that you can now rotate your log files as often as you want,
and still be able to produce monthly usage statistics without the loss of
any detail.  This is accomplished by saving and restoring all relevant
internal data to a disk file between runs.  Doing so allows the program to
'start where it left off' so to speak, and allows the preservation of
detail from one run to the next.

I hope that's the ticket!