Splitting Apache log files

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Sep 25 03:49:22 CDT 2003

I've run into a situation, I've got all my log files in one "BIG"
logfile.  I want to run Webalizer and get stats info for clients, I managed
to get stats to run for one client today (yea), but they had a separate log
file.  I know the Apache Split-Logfile script is there, but how does one go
about using it?   It theoretically should make all my little log files by
domain so I can give my hosting customers stats . . .

Also, I just want to note that I kept everything in one big log file
because of conflicting information here and there.  Some say you'll run out
of file handles (with 2.2 kernel ? ? ) and some say you are ok with newer
kernels.  Nobody ever says "here's how you do it and why" . . . it's all
sorta wishy washy and never a definitive source of info.   That's one minor
frustration with Linux in general.   At least Microsoft has one central
"this is why our software is crap" page that is the gospel.