Squirrelmail / Apache / Symlink question...

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Wed Sep 24 20:07:10 CDT 2003

Hey guys.

I'm just fooling around with apache...trying to install a few things.
Specifically, squirrelmail.  So, I'm using Debian, and I did apt-get install
squirrelmail, and everything seemed to go find.  I see that it's there at
/etc/squirrelmail.

I did ln -s /etc/squirrelmail mail   in my www root.

How, when I go to mydomain.org/mail, I don't see anything.  So, I figured I
didn't have apache ready to recognise index.php files.

When I point it straight to mydomain.org/mail/index.php, I get a 404.

In the error log, I see:  "Files does not exist /var/www/html/index.php".
Now...the actual file is at /etc/squirrelmail, but if you follow the
symlink, it's at /var/www/html/mail -> index.php.   Does this mean apache is
looking for my file in my /var/www/html directory?

As a test, I made an html page at /etc/squirrelmail/test.html.  When I go to
mydomain.org/mail/test.html, it works great.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt