Electricity: Ground?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Sep 16 14:04:01 CDT 2003

Good point, but lots of professional systems have a ground attached
to plumbing. In addition to external grounds. A good system will have
at least two earth grounds a minimum of 3 ft under the ground outside,
and the junction box itself will be grounded. I personally don't like
ground on the plumbing system. Also , it is possible to install new wire
in house that is ungrounded, if the existing wire is also ungrounded. To
answer the original question. I would check all the outlets and look for
a grounded connection. I have several electronics in my house including
at least one PC that is on an ungrounded polarized system. I am slowly
replacing all wiring in the house with grounded wiring. I would say it
is not safe to run a PC on an unpolarized system. Not that it can't be
done. A three prong polarized system is recommended. Make sure the 3
prong system is actually grounded though. Often times people install
3 pronged outlets and they are not grounded.

Brian