IBM Deathstar Hell

Paul Taylor paul at kcnetcare.com
Mon Sep 15 23:56:14 CDT 2003

Bad sectors happen to magnetic drives and is no indication the drive is
faulty unless they fail often or a lot. IDE, SCSI, or SATA is not
relevant. The material most companies use for magnetic platters decay.
External environmental factors can increase the chances of decay or
outright destroy the magnetic properties hence all the advice on
how-to-kill the drive.

You could have a drive right off the factory line that has a few sectors
"go bad". That same drive could function correctly the next 10 years. It's
a crap shoot on how often, when, and how much.

Paul