Clustering for databases

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Sep 15 17:37:50 CDT 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> In the musings department: I wonder if Linux has had anything to do with
> my loss of patience? Before Linux, I just accepted that sometimes
> computers don't work. Now, I see greedy, incompetent corporations behind
> every bug in software on a Windows system -- I really can't stand to
> work on the system once I start thinking like that. Especially if the
> bug costs me hours and hours of frustration.

I used to hate viruses and worms.  In reality I still do, but it gives
me a job.  It takes a detailed person (like me) to be able to follow the
bug and remove it from every little corner it hides in.  And usually
when you remove it you get a chance to lock down the user a little more,
fix things that have been neglected (load the latest svc pack and defrag
the PC).  You get an opportunity to get one-on-one with the user and
explain why they shouldn't trust attachments or HTML mail.  Why they
shouldn't forward jokes and junk.  That they should write down error
messages and then let you look at it, not read the entire thing to you
over the phone pronouncing each letter and number in the blue-screen
msg.  Hopefully they don't poke and prod a dying machine before they
call or keep screwing w/ it after you are notified, so that the PC is so
dead it won't even start up and you can't save their "critical" files.

Brian