Clustering for databases

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Sep 15 17:21:04 CDT 2003

   Brian Kelsay wrote:

     Maybe you can go back on a consulting basis on the rare occasion
     that it breaks or they want a new feature added.  No matter what,
     you got your hands dirty and took on some exciting projects.  I
     just wish I could work on some more of that type of stuff, rather
     than, "I forgot my password" or "I broke my cup holder."

   Amen. I just had another morning of supporting users that shouldn't be
   allowed anywhere near a computer. I really hate this kind of work (I
   don't have the patience for it, any more) and the market is in the
   pits anyways -- I'm also seriously considering a change of careers. I
   have some ideas, but all of them seem to have some insurmountable
   barrier. In the meen time, I'll be picking up up small one-time
   consulting, server-build contracts where possible.
   In the musings department: I wonder if Linux has had anything to do
   with my loss of patience? Before Linux, I just accepted that sometimes
   computers don't work. Now, I see greedy, incompetent corporations
   behind every bug in software on a Windows system -- I really can't
   stand to work on the system once I start thinking like that.
   Especially if the bug costs me hours and hours of frustration.