Clustering for databases

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Sep 15 16:39:26 CDT 2003

ismgr wrote:
> I'm getting ready to be let go here at the end of the year (sigh), and have no
> idea what I'm going to do. (budget cuts, and my job is the most expendable)

That stinks, but you have probably learned enough by now to get
something decent elsewhere.

> I don't have the skills to get an IT job in the city, so I'm going to be
> shifting careers, which is actually fine with me. I'll keep plugging away at
> Linux at home and from time to time, will pop in with moronic questions for
> you to laugh at.   :-)

I don't laugh at you, just near you.  You might be surprised who would
hire you.  I've worked w/ guys who could barely spell advanced technical
terms like keyboard or mouse.  And they all got jobs schlepping
computers around and calling guys like me to ask how to fix stuff.

> I'm learning a tremendous amount of information about system administration
> and Linux from all of you, and I appreciate the list allot. I appreciate all
> the feedback I get here and despite the yips and flames, I feel like this
> list still continues to help.

It's always good to learn from those around you and to contribute where
you can.  You get to know where the flames come from and just ignore
them.  Don't jump in those arguments unless you like getting singed a
little.

> I just want things here at this office to work and be cheap, because we have a
> small staff and the future IT budget looks like slim to nil, so I am trying
> to implement AS MUCH open source software as I can, for economic reasons, if
> nothing else.  :-/
>
> That's aside from the fact that it just works.  :-)

Maybe you can go back on a consulting basis on the rare occasion that it
breaks or they want a new feature added.  No matter what, you got your
hands dirty and took on some exciting projects.  I just wish I could
work on some more of that type of stuff, rather than, "I forgot my
password" or "I broke my cup holder."
Good Luck
Brian

--------
I refrained from telling him that I doubted they could find their ass
with an electronic ass finder.