Packet8 - Any experiences?

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Fri Sep 12 14:33:55 CDT 2003

> > Have you seen SKYPE? It's P2P, put together by the same folks
> > who built KaZaA. Can't beat the price. I haven't used it, but I've
> > seen a review that intrigued me.
> I am sorta using it right now.  I can't say I am very impresssed.  WASTE
> serves my purposes much better.  KcLug should have a WASTE ring....  Kris

I looked at SKYPE.  Looks pretty cool, though everyone having to have the
app is a bit of a stretch for everyday use.  I also use WASTE to connect
with some friends around the country...but WASTE has no voice capabilities
does it?

I was liking Packet8 because they send you a little box to plug into your
router (SIP device?), and then you plug your normal phone into that.  You
don't need to use your computer at all...just your bandwidth.  You can take
the hardware with you and plug it into any broadband connection, and your
local number works there.  Or, you could live in KC here...and get phone
number from Indianapolis or something.  People in indy could call you as a
local call, but it would ring at your place.  Kinda cool.    I'm looking for
a replacement for my cell phone, which we never take anywhere...but enjoy
the free nights, weekends, and long distance.   Packet8 seems to fit the
bill, if it's all they promise it is.

Matt