Connecting to an external database from PostNuke.

Dustin Decker dustind at gemini.moon-lite.com
Wed Sep 10 17:28:26 CDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> ismgr wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to do this to bring information in PostNuke?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that we have all our content in a database now and I'd
> > like to grab the content from the database so that it is the most current.
> >
> > The database is setup via ODBC from a Win2K box.
> >
> Do you mean import into PostNuke or just use the database housed on
> another machine?  What type of info is this? User data?  Post Nuke uses
> a database on the back end, either MySQL or Innodb IIRC.  If you want to
> import data from one DB to another, that should just be some SQL
> statements, such as SELECT from this database in this table and INSERT
> in the new database.

I don't expect the schema of your database and that which PostNuke uses
are very similar.  The schema of the PostNuke db is designed with CMS in
mind.

What you're most likely interested in is utilizing php, mod_perl, or some
other CGI to web enable your current database.  PostNuke won't accomplish
this for you, it's intentions are far too specific.  So... you'll have to
analyze the business logic of the db you have, figure out what sort of
glue you want to use for middleware, and code it up.

Dustin

| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              |                                     |
| Preferred Physicians Group    | "Don't start vast projects with     |