Connecting to an external database from PostNuke.

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 15:45:48 CDT 2003

ismgr wrote:

> Is there a way to do this to bring information in PostNuke?
>
> The reason I ask is that we have all our content in a database now and I'd
> like to grab the content from the database so that it is the most current.
>
> The database is setup via ODBC from a Win2K box.

Do you mean import into PostNuke or just use the database housed on
another machine?  What type of info is this? User data?  Post Nuke uses
a database on the back end, either MySQL or Innodb IIRC.  If you want to
import data from one DB to another, that should just be some SQL
statements, such as SELECT from this database in this table and INSERT
in the new database.

If you want Post Nuke to use the database from the other machine all the
time, such as MySQL on Winders 2000, you need to set a user on the
Winders box that the webserver can connect as and set permissions on the
database to allow that user to update or read-only as the case may be.
For this you will also need Samba client working on the webserver at
least temporarily unless you export to a CD and sneaker net it over to
the webserver.  You would need this if you are transferring one time or
going to leave the DB on the Winders box.  Once you are done, if it is a
one time transfer, remove the samba client from the webserver.  Don't
leave the crackers any more tools than you have to.

--
" * Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.  * Neither Greg Page nor
Caldera, Inc. admit liability nor provide * warranty for any of this

Hmmm.