Citrix?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat May 31 14:26:53 CDT 2003

Citrix is very much like VNC, rdesktop, MS Terminal Server, MS SMS Remote
Tools,  PC Anywhere, ControlIT, ltsp.org, or any of the other remote desktop
applications.   On your PC you launch the Citrix client and you have a
desktop shell that you can run on a server or another machine.  You can also
remotely view the desktop of a user to see what problem they are having,
which is how I have always used these programs.   I have also used them to
access servers to push software or maintain the server.   Generally
companies use Citrix so that they can have any configuration of PC box on
the desk of a user and that user launches a session on the server (a real
beefy machine or server farm).   That session has all the programs that the
user needs (office suite, industry specific apps, peoplesoft, database query
tools, you name it) and is made to start out the same for every user.  The
user may customize the remote desktop to some extent and have those changes
present the next time they log in or the admin may have the desktop reset to
the defaults on the next login.

The most important thing about Citrix is that the software they use is all
maintained centrally so that when you update security fixes to the office
suite it is updated for everyone at the same time.   You won't have people
using 3 different versions of MS Office.  Also it can force them to save
their work to the server so that it is backed up.   If the session with the
server is disconnected usually when you attempt to reconnect your session is
just resumed right where you left off.  Its pretty neat.   But some people
don't like it because it puts all the processing back on an expensive server
instead of a commodity desktop box.   This is also similar to the concept of
the thin client.   Just enough hardware at the desk to connect to the
server.

Google for Citrix and you'll find some interesting info.   I found a Citrix
tutorial at some University website that explained most of this.

Good Luck,
Brian