Where was it you wanted to go today?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue May 27 17:47:49 CDT 2003

At 10:30 AM 5/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe someone can get Dodge/Chrystler to try a linux one before jumping on
>the Windows CE bandwagon?

I don't know about now, but the "good old days" of Chrysler engine control
computers would make a lot of people blush on what they were doing with
very little CPU/memory.   I'm on a "hack the ECU" list and they were doing
stuff WAY out there clear back in the early '80's.   Little things like
interpolated fuel and spark curves, so the entire map didn't need to be
stored in memory -- like the Ford/Chevy stuff.   (Which explains why there
isn't chips to just get a plug and play horsepower upgrade . . . )

I don't know what they are using for their new stuff, but I doubt they
would be quite as foolish to tie everything into one system.  (And I take
that "my car GPF'ed" story  with a grain of salt, because in the event of a
wreck / water landing / etc.... surely the morons put something to
"fail-safe" the car a little bit.)

-- Bradley Miller