Mail Handlers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue May 27 15:05:51 CDT 2003

My Exchange server lost it's mind again this weekend and decided nobody had
any licenses to connect.  I simply pithed the licensing service and it's back
to normal, but it does argue that it's getting time to move away from that
eight year old technology.

Since I've moved away from the Outlook client, I also no longer have the
ability to write server-side filters, which I want, and I've never had any
spam filters on the local box.  I run procmail/sanatizer/spamassasin/sendmail
on a remote box and it does very well.

I'm pretty used to setting up and running sendmail, but I'm concerned about
the ability to store messages efficiently - I tend to archive several thousand
on my server, although for only a handful of accounts.

I also like the idea that there's a server that allows mail accounts without
the need to set up shell accounts.  That would be nice for multi-homed systems
where I'd like to pass out mailboxes for members but don't want the hassle of
shell accounts.

Discussion/suggestions?  I'll be pulling mail in with fetchmail from my "real"
servers.

Here's a brief list from the Hampshire LUG: