Gentoo Almost configured...Slight problems...

Charles Lee chuckx at cold-sun.com
Sun May 25 04:36:53 CDT 2003

I'll answer the questions that I know the answer to off hand.

James Colannino wrote:

> Well, with the mirrors problem sorted out (gentoo.oregonstate.edu has
> some serious issues to work out with corrupted packages,) I have a
> pretty complete system.  I have a few minor/moderate issues that
> demand immediate attention though before I switch over to using that
> as my primary desktop OS:
>
> 1) su does not work.  I try using su, and even with the root password
> correct, it says:

Add yourself to the wheel group.  This is a security practice started by
the *BSDs.

> 3) I don't know how to specify a default window manager for X.  I
> don't want X starting up automatically at boot up as I use the command
> line for the majority of my tasks.  For now, I've been using:
> But, I would like to fix this the "proper" way by specifying a default
> Window Manager.

Edit the ~/.xinitrc file.  This file is processed by the X
initialization scripts (xinit, startx, etc.).

The general format is like so:

application1 &
application2 &
application3 &
window-manager

If you couldn't tell already, it's just a plain old shell script.  The
'&' after the first three lines tells the system to put those
applications in the background.  The last command is entered without a
'&', putting it in the foreground.

Once this script is done processing the X session is terminated.  With
the above example, the script will be done once the 'window-manager'
application is done (ie. using KDE's logout or the equivalent provided
by other window mangers).

--
chuckx