Gentoo Almost configured...Slight problems...

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun May 25 04:26:52 CDT 2003

James Colannino wrote:

> 1) su does not work.  I try using su, and even with the root password
> correct, it says:

You must grant persion to 'su' to a user by adding them to the 'wheel'
group.

> But, even when in graphical mode, the mouse does not work properly.
> it doesn't move at all, except for a few weird movements every now and
> then when I flail the mouse around.  gpm was running in the
> background, but I didn't know because it never started moving on the
> console, which makes me thing there is a problem with the device.  Do
> I need to make a symlink to /dev/psaux such as /dev/mouse?

Check out /etc/conf.d/gpm. There you will find a place to set your
protocol options and such. I have the device set to /dev/usbmouse and
the protocol set to IMPS2.

> 3) I don't know how to specify a default window manager for X.

/etc/rc.conf has a line in it where you specify the /etc/X11/Sessions
script you would like executed by startx. Mine says 'kde-3.1.2'.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.