Parts for ThinkPad 380Z and a Gentoo question

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri May 23 16:37:07 CDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Brian Densmore wrote:

> Anyone ever upgraded one of these? I'd like to put in a bigger HD. 4GB
> just isn't big enough for me anymore. :( Especially since I need 2 GB
> for Windoze (when I take my work traveling).

Is it an IDE drive of the same size?  Should drop right in and work.

> PS. Anyone ever times the openoffice build in Gentoo? Started it last
> night about 7pm, because the current installed version (1.0.2) doesn't
> like my upgraded KDE. This same thing happened when I upgraded KDE last
> time. Anyone know why openoffice breaks when you upgrade KDE?

Depends on where the bottleneck of your system is.  Compiling is simply
parsing nested heaps of text files, looking up the instructions, and often
optimizing the instruction flow for your particular hardware.  If you have
enough memory, it will keep swapping of all that hectic activity down,
leaving your CPU as the bottleneck.

I remember it taking overnight and perhaps a day on my 1GHzP3.

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org