Stop top posting, please.

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Fri May 23 16:20:09 CDT 2003

In article <62746.208.24.179.208.1053697636.squirrel at www.kclinux.net> you write:

>Yes it (top posting) was true for the Usenet group back in the day.  That's
>when also we were running 486/Pent computers and a large hard drive was 2
>gigs?  Come on people, get real.

For starters, I don't recall that there WAS any top posting epidemic until
Outlook Excress started making that the default behavior.

This is a linux list.  Welcome to the world of unix.  If you want to do
things the Windows way, go ahead, but don't expect the unix world to think
more highly of you because of it.

Generally, the newbies trying to join any community try to follow the
existing rules.  It's only polite.  But, if you've got an internet
connection and an M$ mail client, anyone who complains about it is a
ancient fossil who can't keep up.  And a whiner.

I use a text mail client.  Clean, fast, no bullshit.  Do I automatically
load pictures from a spammer site so that he knows his message has been
opened, and so sends me 20 times more?  No.  Am I vulnerable to the virus
du jour?  No.  Is your message better or clearer because of html?  If not,
then it's a waste of bandwidth to send it twice.

Html to me means spam.  When I see html, I hit _D_.  Top posting is not a
reader-friendly way to present your point.  If you need the text of the
message that you are responding to, include it.  If you're too lazy to
trim it, well, that's obviously your option.

The traditional posting rules for usenet and mailing lists exist because
it's the easiest and clearest way for the reader to understand your
message.  If a person doesn't care about the reader, why he posting
anything at all?

Regards,

-Don