Stop top posting, please.

Michael Brailsford brailsmt at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 22:41:41 CDT 2003

> Well, I personally prefer not having to scroll to the bottom of a message
> to read what the person has to say. Who, when, and why did anyone make the
> no top posting rule anyway?

I wouldn't call it a rule.  Just like I wouldn't call table manners a
rule.  I agree that bottom posting sucks too.  If you want to be clear,
you should give just enough context from the message to which you are
responding.  Do whatever you please, but emails are more easier to read
when you post the way that has become the 'etiquette' of the community.

> I've never heard of it before. Really, you guys
> just crack me up sometimes. Isn't there better things to complain and bitch
> about in the world besides someone's use of HTML in their emails or the proper
> structure and syntax of messages? I mean, really. Come' on now. Lighten up.

You mean there is something more important in the world?  There is life
outside the computer room?  I never knew...  Anyway, I solved the html
problem long ago with:

:0:
* ^content-type:.*text/html
junk

HTML mail is fine, but not everyone uses a bloated mail client.  About
the proper syntax of messages, I will settle English syntax and grammar.
:)

Anyway, the whole point of email is to communicate.  Usually
communication is easier if there is structure.  Usually it is a good
idea to conform to community accepted formats.

BTW, top posting flame wars are not unique to KCLUG.  You will find them
on almost any ML.  I can't wait for the next vim v emacs, tabs v spaces,
Window Manager, scripting language, MySQL v PostgreSQL,
sendmail v postfix v qmail, etc... flame war.  They are so fun.  ;)

--
Michael
GnuPG Fingerprint:  4C56 7C23 8BD9 8B39 C4D4 B8F3 42FB 3634 31B5 E963