[OT] More on Batteries

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Tue May 13 18:24:50 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 12:16, Brian Densmore wrote:
> > Stored batteries will loose up to 10% of their charge per
> > day.  Obviously, any
>
> That would make a battery dead in 10 days. I find that hard
> to believe.

That would be 10% of the 'remaining charge'. i.e.

12V - (12V * 10%) = 10.8V
10.8V - (10.8V * 10%) = 9.72V
8.748V
7.8732V
7.0859V
6.3774V
5.7397V
5.1658V
4.6493V
4.1844V
3.7660V
3.3894V
3.0505V
2.7455V
2.4710V
2.2239V
2.0016V
1.8015V
1.6214V
1.4593V
1.3134V
1.1821V
1.0639V
.9576V

Which means the battery would be effectively dead after 24 days when it has
less than 1V of charge.  Is that believable for some battery types? Maybe.

However, what about alkaline batteries?  I'm looking at some Rayovac's that
have Dec 2009 written on them.  What about lead-acid batteries?  I've had
lead-acid batteries in cars that sat for over 6 months and were still able
to crank over the engine.