RedHat and Gentoo questions!

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Sat May 10 22:13:04 CDT 2003

On Friday 09 May 2003 06:57 pm, Patrick Thurmond wrote:
> #1  Is the Gentoo setup pretty straight-forward. I am honestly not more
> the intermediate at Linux at best so I don't need anything overly
> complicated at this time (Have too many other things on my mind).

I wouldn't say it's especially hard, but it can take a long time.

> #2  Is it pretty easy to navigate? Are all the settings hard to find?
> Like screen resolution, desktop settings, device management tools, etc.

They're all in the standard locations.  Gentoo doesn't have a whole lot of
administative stuff that any other distro hasn't got, with the notable (and
essential) exception of emerge.

> #3  Has anyone ever installed Interchange on Gentoo. Interchange was
> originally a program started by RedHat but then dropped and taken in by
> a group of programmers. It was originally designed to run only on RedHat
> (as far as I know) but since I am not sure all it entails with the OS I
> was hoping someone knew if it could run on another distro like Gentoo or
> not.

On Gentoo, no, but I had it up and running on Mandrake a while back.  It
wasn't too hard to do, as I recall.

> #4  Does Gentoo have a reliable CD Burning program? DVD-R burning
> program?

I've become partial to K3B, but there are many other choices as well.

--
Kendric Beachey
ak at kc.rr.com

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of
public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree
which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or
inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the
Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should
be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it
is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him
when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both
base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any
one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or
unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

--Theodore Roosevelt, Kansas City Star, May 7, 1918