RedHat and Gentoo questions!

Patrick Thurmond pthurmond at kc.rr.com
Fri May 9 23:57:06 CDT 2003

	Ok everybody, though I have been in this group for going on 2
years, I have never had a PC that was always loaded with a distribution
of Linux. So far I have been pretty happy with RedHat but I thought I
would check out a few others. I am running a pretty powerful PC (not
God-like, but it can run with the best of them) that has a second 60 GB
HDD and I wouldn't mind loading it to dual boot XP and Linux. Now I have
done this scenario before so dual-booting the system isn't a problem, as
long as I am using RedHat. But lately I have been considering Gentoo
however I have a few concerns.

#1  Is the Gentoo setup pretty straight-forward. I am honestly not more
the intermediate at Linux at best so I don't need anything overly
complicated at this time (Have too many other things on my mind).

#2  Is it pretty easy to navigate? Are all the settings hard to find?
Like screen resolution, desktop settings, device management tools, etc.

#3  Has anyone ever installed Interchange on Gentoo. Interchange was
originally a program started by RedHat but then dropped and taken in by
a group of programmers. It was originally designed to run only on RedHat
(as far as I know) but since I am not sure all it entails with the OS I
was hoping someone knew if it could run on another distro like Gentoo or
not.

#4  Does Gentoo have a reliable CD Burning program? DVD-R burning
program?

#5  Does anyone have any other distros to suggest for me.

Here is my config:
Gateway 500XL Desktop (Hey I work for them, got a 10% discount, and am
paying with payroll deduction, can't beat that deal)
Running the Intel Pentium 4
533Mhz FSB
512MB DDR PC2100
GeForce 4 Ti4200
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy
Intel Pro/100 VE Integrated NIC
120GB WD HDD (Windows Drive)
60GB WD HDD (Linux drive)
Lite-On 48x 24x 48x Recordable/Rewritable CDRW
Panasonic DVD-RAM/R Drive
With the Intel 82845G Chipset
Gateway FPD1810 LCD Monitor
Apollo P-2600 Printer