domain blocking for DNS

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat May 10 18:03:26 CDT 2003

Quoting admin at kclinux.net:

> After almost a week, I'm still waiting for the ISP's my clients use to give
> me documentation or a link to the security vulnerabilities that reverse DNS
> causes.

It's simple: the geek they hired to manage their DNS barely knows what he's
doing, and if he starts trying to keep reverse-DNS up to date, he's sure to
screw up and leave a hole somewhere.  Hence it's a security risk.

That, or they'd have to hire someone who knows what they're doing.  Someone
with that level of understanding would not only be expensive, it would be easy
for them to go somewhere else if they were underpaid or mistreated, so they
could never be trusted (especially since they understand something that
management doesn't).  Hence another security risk.