Linux+ Exam

Kevin Hodle kevinh at aos5.com
Fri May 9 19:15:46 CDT 2003

Hello fellow luggers.  I passed the Linux+ today with an 860/900.  I thought it was pretty easy,
and anyone who has some experience with linux in a production envrioment should have no problems
passing it.  If you decide to take it, brush up on you're A+ hardware knowledge, about 10-15% of
the exam was hardware related.  As usual with Comptia exams, many questions seemed illogical and
had poor wording.. Afew examples:

What comamnd line parameter will allow you to see usage information for most linux commands:

A) -h
B) -help
C) (obviously wrong answer)
D) (obviously wrong answer)

... Now, afew questions before, it had a question about a shell script called 'a,sh' (seriously, it
has a comma instead of a period), so I wasn't sure if they forgot the extra - before -help, or if
they wanted -h.  Do you feel lucky punk, well do ya!?

Another one that bugged me,

Your users about unable to obtain IP addresses automatically.  After rebooting the server and
issuing 'dhcpd start', the issue is not resolved.  After changing to the proper directory, what
command will resolve this issue.

A) dhcpd restart
B) dpchd start
C) touch dhcpd.leases
D) (obviously wrong answer)

... Note the 'After changing to the proper directory' bit... Again, Do ya feel lucky!?

All in all, I would say it was a good test, and covered a wide range of material, but if you have
already had afew years experience with administration of production servers, go for something
harder like LPIC or RHCE.

Kevin Hodle
CCNA, Network+, Linux+
Alexander Open Systems