kernel presentation at ILUG on Sat.

Hal Duston hduston at speedscript.com
Mon May 5 19:50:05 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 14:14, Mailing List Account for Jason Runyan
wrote:
> On Monday 05 May 2003 13:52, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> > No, bzImage and zImage are *BOTH* gzipped.
>
> This is not true.  zImage is gzipped.  bzImage is bzipped.

No, Charles is correct.  I have successfully built bzImage kernels on
machines that don't even have bzip2 installed on them.

Look below.

gentoo-2.4.20-r2 # make bzImage 2>&1 | fgrep zip
gzip -f -9 < $tmppiggy > $tmppiggy.gz ; gentoo-2.4.20-r2 # fgrep -r bzip .
gentoo-2.4.20-r2 #

Read `Documentation/kbuild/commands.txt' in the kernel source tree.

Note: the difference between 'zImage' files and 'bzImage' files is that
'bzImage' uses a different layout and a different loading algorithm,
and thus has a larger capacity.  Both files use gzip compression.
The 'bz' in 'bzImage' stands for 'big zImage', not for 'bzip'!

--
Hal