HTML posting

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat May 3 15:28:37 CDT 2003

Quoting admin at kclinux.net:

> After looking over all
> of my emails for the past month, close to 75% of all of the emails that I
> have recieved (especially from corporations like Sprint, Black & Veatch,
> PDA, Farmers Insurance, Hallmark, and other businesses that almost equaled
> to 90% and all of which I work with or have contacts with) were all HTML
> emails.

So, because the illiterati from AOL do it, it's a good idea?  There's an
undercurrent I sense here as well: you're a Big Time Businessman and can't be
bothered with old fashioned courtesies.

Most of the IT expertise in these companies was learned in a Microsoft
Certification Cram Session.  The managers who decide on the standards that
include HTML mail are far more likely to have backgrounds in sales than any
experience with IT - in fact, it's likely that their secretary has to show
them how to sync their Palm Pilot on a regular basis.

Dollar volume doesn't equal expertise, any more than a spiffy font
communicates for a mailing list.

Allow us to refocus your discussion as well:  No-one here has objected to HTML
mail between consenting parties.  We've just pointed out that it's rude to
post it to a technical mailing list.  You're welcome to spam your Very
Important "Clients" with it.