gentoo go good

David Reynolds naeblis at kc.rr.com
Fri May 2 23:46:37 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 08:33 pm, Jonathan Hutchins proclaimed:
> Quoting David Reynolds <naeblis at kc.rr.com>:
> > I've got a friend who was 'given' gentoo by her ex, but either I am not
> > as smart as I think I am, or she has been severely crippled.
> >
> > Her ex did not give her a root password. Hence, she cannot do things like
> > change the time, emerge/update programs, or a host of other things I do
> > regularly on my system. Now he's shipped out and she has no access to him
> > for a month plus.
>
> So you're asking us to post how to root hack a gentoo system on the public
> forum, right?

Of course not, or of course I am, depending on your definition of 'hack'. What
I asked was what recourse she had if the person who installed her system did
not give her the root password. With physical access to the box, there are
ways to gain access for legitimate purposes.

That is a 'hack' in one sense; I am not asking for how to 'crack' a system,
however. How you choose to view it, I leave up to you.

Regards,
David
--
Three things which make one's mate a leader among their neighbors:
 skill;