Upgraded Mandrake 9.1 unable to start X

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu May 1 18:22:47 CDT 2003

I "upgraded" an older Mandrake workstation (8.x or 9.0?) to 9.1, and now it
won't start X.  It takes a long time to come up with the message "Cound not
start process.  Unable to create io-slave: Too many open files."  On closing
this dialog box, we get a background screen with a silver bar across the
bottom - not kpanel, no menu, just the bar.  I can hit Alt-F2 and get the
"Run" dialog box, but I can't type anything in it.  ps ax shows a lot of
kio_file processes attempting to open slave-socket files.

Suggestions on where to start with this one?