Gentoo Box Drops Off Network (Long)

Jacob Hurley jacobh at aos5.com
Thu May 1 13:46:53 CDT 2003

	When you say it 'drops off the network' does that mean that for
a period of time that it is 'on' the network?  Has it worked properly at
one time?  Is your nic recognized?

What does this output show you:

# ifconfig -a

If you see the nic in there (eth0) then my next step would be to verify
the ip address and subnet given to it, after that I would let my good
buddy tcpdump help out from there.

# tcpdump -ni eth0

watch to see if it picks up any traffic on the network.

Jacob Hurley
Network Operations Center
Alexander Open Systems