No subject

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu May 1 13:34:07 CDT 2003

Hmmm... funny I hadn't heard that. I use a Bastille hardened Mandrake
on my webserver. I've never had any problem, except the version I used
did want to install X and KDE on the system. And there was no way to not

install certain pieces of X, but X isn't completely installed and is
non-functional on that box. That would be the only caveat I have with
Mandrake on a webserver. That of course adds to wasted space.
I have never installed, and most of the distros don't have the option,
to install from a running shell. BUT! I have no doubt that you could
mount the RH install CD and do a chroot in a "real" shell (i.e. not
a Xwindows terminal shell). From the chroot you might be able to run
the install. It's risky and dangerous, but that is how gentoo installs.
I will be leaving tomorrow for Indiana and will be gone all weekend.
I bet someone one the list could provide you with a detailed map of how
to do this. Or if you can wait till I get back I'd be glad draw up a
step by step install plan, and be on hand to help nudge it along. ;)

Brian