trying to install a module

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 14:40:03 CDT 2003

> > system.  The video for linux (v4l2) has to be
> built first and then the
> > BrookTree (bttv) module must be built for using a
> video capture card.
Try and get redhat versions if possible. [reason
below]

> > Anyway, when I try to run a make on the modules
> source I get an error
> > and a message that my kernel is not enabled for>
modules.  That is BS,
It is probably referring to your kernel source
configuration.

> I have noticed Redhat is famous for adding
> "features" in the kernel.
> Nearly all these added blinkenlights you don't

"Oh, stop whining. I have literally thousands of
binking and flashing and beeping lights. They're
blinking and flashing and beeping and Flashing and
Blinking and Beeping and BLINKING and FLASHING AND
BEEPING ..."

>  It may be best to
> get the original Linus tarball.  I wouldn't be
I wouldn't recommend that on a RH system. It is very
HIGHLY probably if you install a stiock kernel you
will completely fubar the rest of your RH system.

It is a known fact that RH highly modifies mauch of
the code in a stock distro. Some of it is bleeding
edge some of it includes bug fixes and patches that
have not made it past the official release. Plus they
spend a lot of time fixing code and posting it back to
be approved. They have many faults but they put a lot
of good work out there. You best bet is to always find
code that is 100% RH compatible on a RH system. And I
do MEAN 100%, not 99 and 44/100 pure. It is also
somewhat possible that your downloaded source can't
tell that module support is loaded because of some
funky patch that RH is using or some 2.5 feature that
breaks compatibility.

Sorry, I know this isn't really the answer you wanted
to hear. It may be time to consider debian or gentoo.

Brian D.