trying to install a module

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sun Jun 29 08:33:09 CDT 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> I'm trying to build a module to install on a freshly loaded RedHat 9
> system.  The video for linux (v4l2) has to be built first and then the
> BrookTree (bttv) module must be built for using a video capture card.
> Anyway, when I try to run a make on the modules source I get an error
> and a message that my kernel is not enabled for modules.  That is BS,
> because I can run lsmod and see the currently loaded modules and rmmod
> and remove a module that I'm not going to need.  So what's up?

The binary kernel you may be running might be different than what's
configured in your source tree.  Be sure to check:

Loadable module support ---> [*] Enable loadable module support

Also check the time and date of your compiled kernel:

dattaway at satellite dattaway $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.21 (root at satellite.dattaway.org) (gcc version 3.2.2) #1
Mon Jun 16 19:35:35 CDT 2003

That means my currently running kernel was bolted together on June 16th at
7:35pm on my laptop.  This date stamp matches up with my kernel
configuration file (/usr/src/linux/.config) by several minutes, so I may
assume that is my valid running configuration.

I have noticed Redhat is famous for adding "features" in the kernel.
Nearly all these added blinkenlights you don't need.  It may be best to
get the original Linus tarball.  I wouldn't be surprised if redhat
completely fubar'd the whole core tree and released it.  The last version
of redhat I used was 7.1 and they have been on the bleeding edge trail
since I started with 4.1.  Enough of that adventure.

Redhat does great research with the kernel, but they are rather hasty in
my opinion.  Going with a stock kernel might be a good idea.  I have
rarely had a problem with any of the latest releases:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/

--
http://dattaway.org