Grinding to a halt

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jun 27 18:41:53 CDT 2003

I'd take a look at your network card and APMD settings.  If the thing's going
to sleep, it may not be waking back up properly.  BIOS may conflict with APMD
or something.  I have one machine here that was not able to recover from sleep
mode because the 3com 3c905 wouldn't talk to the PCI bus when it came back up.
I have a laptop that will respond to a weak-to-lost wireless signal by
appearing to lock up as well - bad enough that I've powered it down rather
than try to recover.

The other thing to suspect with a lost of service based on time is that
time=temperature somewhere in the system.  That's likely to be motherboard.