Display on Bash

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jun 27 02:02:51 CDT 2003

Quoting Ben Coffman <Ben_coffman at hotmail.com>:

> I just need some example code for the script.  Or basically where I would
> pipe it to so the text would display on the command prompt.

I know you just want general answers, but as with most things linux there are
a number of ways to do this, including mechanisms inteneded to alert users of
certain conditions, notify them of policy changes, shutdowns, or even lab hour
changes.  There's the Message of the Day (motd) that displays at login,
"issue", and more.

The most obvious of these has evolved into what we know of as email, but there
are live console display facilities as well.  Take a look at "message".  The
"wall" utility was mentioned because it's "write to all".

Let us know a little more about what you're up to and your environment and
we'll be glad to pitch in.